We are a small, rural congregation located in the village of Metcalfe, Ontario, an easy 40 minute drive south of the urban centre of Ottawa. This is our history:
Although the first church built in the area, on Lot 20, Con.6, was Roman Catholic, the second church was Methodist. It began its life as a worshipping community in 1832. It was located just east of the village of Metcalfe, on a spot known as Methodist Hill. The original structure was small log building which was replaced in 1853 by a frame construction. Known as the Victoria St Methodist Church, it was demolished in 1920s.
In 1922, Methodists purchased a former Baptist Church on South side of Victoria Street. They met there until they united with St Andrew�s Presbyterian Church in 1927. In Oct 1925, the Blair Methodist Church which had been built in 1877, closed and congregation joined St Andrew�s Church.
What we know as Metcalfe St Andrew�s United Church was formed by the union of these Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches in 1927.
Today, we are a mixture of both young and old who join to celebrate God�s presence in our lives in Sunday morning worship, in Bible study, and in community events. Approximately 45-50 folks attend on Sundays and we vary in age from infants and toddlers to pre-teens and teens, parents and grandparents. We offer both a Sunday school and nursery to babies and youngsters, and a warm invitation to all to join in conversation and coffee after each service.
Governed by a church council, committees meet throughout many months to do the work of the church in the areas of Finance and Property, Christian Membership, Nurture and Care, the UCW, Trustees, Stewardship, Outreach and Communications, Worship, Music and Sacraments Committee and Ministry and Personnel.
Community groups such as Guides and music students rent our downstairs church hall. The sanctuary is also available for concerts and recitals.